We are proud to announce our 2017 awardees and member initiates of the Oregon State University Chapter of the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi.
Qualifications for Membership
Membership in Phi Kappa Phi is by invitation from the Executive Committee of the OSU Chapter of Phi Kappa Phi.
An undergraduate student in any college/school of Oregon State University who meets the following criteria is eligible for membership.
- Junior standingas defined by their school or college (normally within one year of graduation or has achieved fourth year standing in a five year undergraduate curriculum) and
- has been registered at Oregon State University for at least one year, and
- ranks scholastically in the upper 7.5% of the class of the college/school in which they are registered as a junior.
- Senior standingas defined by their school or college (normally in the last year of a course of study leading to a baccalaureate degree) and
- has been registered at Oregon State University for at least one year, and
- ranks scholastically in the upper percent of the class of the college/school in which they are registered as a senior.
A graduate or professional student in any college/school of Oregon State University who meets the following criteria is eligible for membership.
- A candidate for a masters or professional degree who has been registered as a graduate or advanced professional student for at least one year at Oregon State University, and has made a noteworthy record in graduate study.
- A candidate for a doctoral degree who has been advanced to candidacy and has made a noteworthy record in graduate study.
- A candidate for the Doctor of Veterinary medicine degree within on year of graduation who has made a noteworthy record in the professional program.
- Former graduate students who have been awarded an advanced degree subsequent to the most recent initiation of new members may be considered.
Membership has several benefits at the OSU Chapter and national levels.
- Scholarships, awards, and fellowships
- Recognition of academic achievement, essential for building a strong resume
- Opportunities for networking with peers from OSU, including leaders, faculty, scholars, and fellow students.
- Opportunities to participate in community engagement through Chapter outreach activities
- Invitation to attend the annual OSU Chapter banquet
- Discounts on books, computers, etc. from various approved vendors
New and retuirning members, please see the following instructions. Payments can be processed online by visit www.PhiKappaPhi.org. If you prefer to mail your check payable to Phi Kappa Phi, please send an e-mail to Dr. Jaiswal (email@example.com) for further information.
- New members: After you receive the membership invitation in email or letter, please visit https://www.phikappaphi.org/join/chapters-list/oregon-state-university and click on “Invited Students.” Use the access code PROVIDED IN THE EMAIL/LETTER to join. pay a national initiation fee of $20, the annual dues of $30 to the national Phi Kappa Phi Society, plus a $35 initiation fee to the OSU chapter of Phi Kappa Phi. The $85 total fees for the first year of membership covers the costs of a certificate of initiation; a Phi Kappa Phi pin; national and local dues for one year; a one-year subscription to the Phi Kappa Phi Forum magazine; access to members-only online resources at www.PhiKappaPhi.org and admission to the OSU initiation ceremony and banquet dinner.
- If you prefer to mail your check ($85.00) payable to Phi Kappa Phi, please send an e-mail to Dr. Jaiswal (firstname.lastname@example.org) for instructions.For the year 2016-2017, please contact us by December 16, 2016
- For the year 2016-2017, newly invited memebrs please contact us by December 16, 2016, if the reason you need to decline this invitation is financial difficulty. Financial support is available on need-basis to students by contacting Dean Toni Doolen (email@example.com).
- If your are a student enrolled in the e-campus or OSU Cascades campus and you are unable to attend the initiation banquet, you can still register. Your certificate and membership materials will be mailed to you directly.
- Returning Members can renew their membership benefits at www.PhiKappaPhi.org. The annual renewal fee is $35 for the national organization plus $5 for the OSU chapter dues.
Frequently asked questions about the membership
- I am interested in joining. I live outside of Oregon and attend OSU's hybrid program. So I am not on campus very often. How does this impact my potential membership?
All OSU students (Corvallis-campus, Bend-campus, and e-campus) are considered and only the top 7% are invited (in the case of graduate students, professional students, and seniors). Therefore, you have well achieved that distinction and thus invitation to join is based on your affiliation to OSU and is independent of campus type or the program such as yours. You may join, even if you are unable to attend the initiation banquet. We will contact you following the banquet and send your certificate and pin to you at an address that is convenient for you. If you have additional questions, please let me know. All other PKP benefits, including mentioning the membership on your CV, ability to apply for scholarships, access to career services, as well as other discounts and services are available to students who join PKP, regardless of their location. We understand that students who are not currently living in Corvallis may be unable to attend the chapter initiation banquet, but this will not prevent you from being a member and being inducted. However, if you are on campus, we encourage you to meet with our chapter officers especially student VPs to learn more about the PKP activities.
- I am already a member of PKP as of last year's inaugural cohort. I was inducted into the honor society during the spring ceremony. Has this membership been terminated? Or are these memebrship invitation emails automated?
You are fine from last year's induction. Please make sure you have renewed the membership and plan on attending our on-campus events if you are in town. It's always good to have current members join our events. The invitation email youreceived con be considered as a reminder to continue your affiliation.
- I would love to attend a PKP event, however I am currently studying abroad for the fall term. Do you have any suggestions for how to become more involved in PKP next term?
Great to hear from you. You may still join the membership if you are new or renew if you are a returning memebr. The initiation banquet is in the winter term. When you are on campus, we encourage you to meet with our chapter officers especially student VPs http://phikappaphi.oregonstate.edu/officers to learn more about the PKP activities.
- I will most definitely be seeking membership and initiation. Do you know if there is a deadline for when I need to register for membership?
Wonderful. Please check the following. The registration is open now and continues until 3/15/17. However we prefer it is completed prior to 1/15/17.
Important Dates to Remember:
1/15/17 -Enrollemnt Deadline for students to have their certificates processed at Headquarters. Everyone who has completed their registration by the end of the day on 1/15/17 will have their certificate printed and shipped to you. Everyone else will need to have their certificate printed by the Chapter.
2/07/17 -Initiation Dinner
3/15/17 -Date that the enrollment access code (provided to you in the invitation email) will expire and online enrollment will close for your Chapter. Any students wishing to join after this date will need to contact us directly for instructions.
- I am enrolled in the e-campus and Cascades capmus programs and I am not planning to attend teh initation banquet. Can I still get my certificate and the memebership materials including the PKP Pin?
Yes. If you are an e-campus or OSU Cascades student and you are unable to attend the initiation banquet, you can still register. Your certificate and membership materials will be mailed to you directly.
- I have recently received an email in regards to Phi Kappa Phi membership. I would really like to join the society but do not have the funds to pay the dues at this time.
For the year 2016-2017, newly invited memebrs please contact us by December 16, 2016, if the reason you need to decline this invitation is financial difficulty. Financial support is available on need-basis to students by contacting Dean Toni Doolen (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- I am having trouble completing my online membership enrollment. Can you help?
Please contact contacting memebrship chair Dean Toni Doolen (email@example.com) for help with enrollment.
The society’s 2016-2017 initiation banquet will be held on Tuesday, February 7, 2017, from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. in the CH2M Hill Alumni Center ballroom on the OSU campus. If you have an evening midterm conflict, please let us know. You are welcome to invite family and friends to witness your induction into Phi Kappa Phi. You may RSVP for the banquet at the same time you join online, and you will be contacted later for your meal selection and the names of your guests. The cost of the banquet for additional guests is $45.00 each. Cost of your attendance is covered by the initiation memebrship fee of $85.
To learn more about the membership and our activities we cordially invite you to our Winter 2017 PKP Information event to be held Today 1/18/2017, 6-7pm in the Valley Library room 3622 Eas